Table of Contents
Certain physical conditions are prone to affect all humans. Plaque is one among the same. While many of us experience plaque as one of the day to day affairs, when asked what plaque is all about, we don’t get to explain in an exact manner.
When the bacteria present in our mouth forms a sticky coating on the teeth, it is called Plaque. Allowing Plaque to haunt the teeth for long make them pay a heavy price. The main reason for this is Plaque eats out teeth, decaying them and causing gum disease. It is not good to push out all the bacteria in the mouth at one shot since some good bacteria are required for hygienic oral care. However, it is dangerous to allow bacteria remain in your mouth for long. The tips given below will help you nip out plaque before they munch on your teeth completely.
Brushing The Right Way Is The Key
As an age old habit, we do brush our teeth as soon as we get up in the morning. It is important to clean out teeth with soft bristled toothbrush before our bedtime. This will remove the plaque from sticking to the teeth all night long, spoiling them in the maximum possible manner. Ensure to change the toothbrush once in three months, so the brushing meets the hygiene goal. What is the right way of brushing our teeth?
- Ensure the toothbrush is held at 45 degrees angle from the gum.
- Make circular strokes that are tooth wide in a gentle manner.
- Brush this way covering all the tooth from all sides top, bottom and both inner and outer sides.
- Ensure the bacteria on the top surface of the tongue is scraped away with a scraper available for the purpose.
- Brushing for full two minutes will help you clean the complete space of the mouth in a perfect manner
Go in for Electronic toothbrushes which act more efficiently than the manual ones.
Clean The Space In Between Your Teeth
- Plaque Removers made of wooden material
- Flossers which are available in a pre-threaded manner
- Straight angled brushes that can reach in between the teeth
- Water flossers
- Dental toothpicks
Remember, there is no perfect timing to floss or brush your teeth. Brush and floss the same as many times a day as possible.
Use Good Quality Mouthwash
A good quality anti-bacterial mouthwash is one of the best options for preventing plaque in a consistent manner. Mouthwash protects the teeth from plaque by loosening the same from the hold they have on the teeth. This makes it easier to detach the plaques from the teeth.
Avoid Food Items Rich In Starch And Sugar
Eating such food items rarely will safeguard your teeth from getting decayed in a quick manner. Some such food habits that damage the teeth are listed below for clarity.
- Regular Alcohol consumption
- Candies and chocolates which are sticky in nature
- Bread varieties and potatoes which are high in starch
- Carbonated drinks
Whenever you tend to treat on the above, ensure your teeth are cleaned immediately after the eating is over. This helps retain the moisture in the teeth. Snacking in between meals is highly harmful to the teeth. Ensure you brush after every meal, so plaques get the kick away more frequently. If you are unable to lay your hands on the toothbrush after a meal, chewing sugarless gum can the next best option to maintain the teeth in a hygienic manner.
Frequent Visit To Dentist Helps
Having a right smile permanently on your face mostly depends on the extent of oral care efforts taken by you.
Latest posts by Dr. Frank Nikakhtar (see all)
- 5 Ways to Remove Plaque and Keep the Teeth Healthy - June 28, 2017