Table of Contents
Before we talk more about Xylitol Nasal Spray, lets first describe what Xylitol is.
What Is Xylitol?
By chemical structure, Xylitol is a sugar alcohol. It is manufactured from xylose, which is a wood sugar. Human body naturally produces about 10 grams of it daily. So, it cannot be considered a drug. It is also well known by its beneficial properties in fighting tooth decay.
It is used as a substitute for the sugar in various foods. Most popular is a Xylitol gum. Popularity of this sugar is growing every day. It important to mention that Xylitol is poisonous to dogs. Keep all the products containing Xylitol away from your dogs and other pets. This also goes for the xylitol mints about which you can also read on our website. Xylitol candy is also popular choice of sweets you can give children to decrease their sugar intake and reduce the number of cavities they get.
Food and Drug administration has a rule which classifies as a drug any substance which is used to heal or prevent an illness. This rule prevents marketing Xylitol as preventing tooth decay. But, it actually does.
Why Is Your Nose So Important?
Nose is a breathing entry to the body. We all breathe as much as 3000 gallons of air every day. Your nose is also an entry point for all kinds of pollution. The bacteria that develops inside your nose and lungs can also find their way into the ear canal or even the sinuses and cause infections there. Irritants produced there are one of the common causes of asthma or allergies.
There exists a great way now to enhance this process naturally and clean the nose area to help remove the bacteria that are the cause of an infection. Cleaning the nose whenever needed is helping to combat the infection and also the irritants which are causing allergies and asthma.
Whenever a nose is the starting point of the problem that someone has, it is a good strategy to clean it regularly as part of the treatment. Sometimes even, that can prevent the issue altogether.
How Xylitol Nasal Spray Works?
It boils down to a couple of reasons why Xylitol Nasal Spray works so good:
- Xylitol prevents some bacteria to attach themselves to the cells in a nose and thus lowers the number of infections that can develop,
- It has a stimulative effect to the natural washing of the nose, which is in essence our natural defensive mechanism,
- It also reduces the concentration of salt on the inner surface of the nose. This makes antibiotics more effective.
The mechanism of working is unique for this spray and is not something that exists in other medical products. These concepts are now prominent in modern medicine, and thanks to them, Xlear Nasal Spray is highly efficient in treating infections and allergies which are a major health problems today.
How Does Xylitol Nasal Spray Help Against Infections?
The general problem with antibiotics is that they are more and more becoming resistant to antibiotics commonly in use. Older generations of antibiotics are particularly affected with the problem. This translates to a downward spiral of efficacy where the more we use antibiotics the less effective they become.
The bacteria that enter our body from the outside environment are first looking to attach themselves to our body. They attach to a particular sugars or sugar complexes that are commonly found on the surfaces of the cells in our body.
Giving Xylitol in regular doses to the bacteria which usually inhabit the back of our noses has an effect that lowers the number of bacteria. There has also been shown that some bacteria strains become altered or conditioned to have a milder effect on human body than before.
What Effect Does Xylitol Nasal Spray Have On Allergies?
Here are some ideas that better describe effects of this product on allergies:
- When you have a runny nose, that is your body’s way of cleaning various irritants from the nose.
- The number of airway problem a person experiences including allergenic and infectious is closely related to the use of drugs that act by blocking natural nasal cleaning process.
- It is based on idea that stimulating this natural protective mechanism is better than to block it.
- The extension of the previous idea is that it is better to support other body defenses is a healthier approach.
- The reduction of the problems can be achieved by removing the triggers that cause asthma and allergies by cleaning the nose regularly.
The commons sense is to put Xylitol in the place where bacteria reside. This decreases the amount of Xylitol that is needed by about 200 times, compared to when used orally. It has been shown in practice to reduce ear infections by 93%.
How To Properly Use The Xylitol Nasal Spray?
You can compare using Xylitol Nasal Spray to washing hands. It needs to be done every day to ensure the nose is clean. Just like a soap for a nose.
- Tilt the head forward,
- Place the tip of the Xylitol Nasal Spray into the nose opening,
- Target the spray bottle to aim for the back of the head,
- sniff (inhale briskly) and use the spray at the same time,
- Repeat for the second side of the nose.
If it is given to an infant, who of course cannot sniff, baby should be laid down after spraying. This enables to solution to reach the back of the nose where it is the most effective. One recommendation would be to use this product with each diaper change. This spray is also safe for pregnant women or while nursing.