What Is It Really Like To Have an Invisalign Treatment as an Adult?
Table of Contents
Adults, especially above the age of 50, are always worried about their sensitive health and the health treatments they require. Not because they don’t know the treatments; but, because at a certain point of time either they don’t have time to visit practitioners or are tired of ongoing medications. Top of it, if they have to go through dental treatments, their worries would on superior levels. People are afraid of visiting dentists for a number of reasons. It could be any of these: fear of severe pain, high-level anxiety about treatments and its probable side-effects, fear of dental equipment, or any prior bad-experience of dental treatments.
Here, we shall specifically talk about how it feels to have invisalign treatments feelings for the adults aged-above 50.
Overview of invisalign treatment for senior adults
Invisalign treatments fall under orthodontics. They are used to straighten the teeth which are uneven and causing chewing problems. There are many people who opt for invisalign treatment who want cosmetic changes in their appearances. But, well, that might not be the case with you. At the age of 50+, people usually lessen their worry about cosmetic appearances. Rather they care more about their health and fitness.
As a senior adult, don’t think that invisalign is a treatment that is suitable only for children and young adults. It is equally appropriate for you too. A research conducted by the American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) states that the number of adults undergoing orthodontic treatment has risen by 40 percent in the past.
There can be many people who have gone through a large portion of their lives with crooked teeth or broken teeth. They might be comfortable living in the same state for the rest of their lives. However, some people experience enough of a headache and muscle pains due to bad bite damaging jawbone and teeth. Hence, if you are a senior and interested in getting straighter teeth for health concerns, Invisalign may be a right option for you.
Need of invisalign treatment for senior adults
Untreated misaligned or crooked teeth create a problem in maintaining dental hygiene. Teeth that are not cleaned perfectly lead to periodontal diseases. It can also result in damage of gum and jawbone over the period of time. And hence, the best way is to treat them either with metal / wire braces or with invisalign aligners.
Invisalign is the best alternative to metal and wire braces. Now, you might wonder why it is more recommended treatment for senior adults. Invisalign treatment is preferred because fixing wire braces require a strong jawbone and healthy teeth. As you age, bones tend to become weak. In addition, the comfort level also changes. Wearing metal braces at the age of 20 feels completely different than wearing braces at the age of 50. Invisalign offers great comfort.
Benefits of invisalign treatment over metal or wire braces
Forge the common myth that invisalign aligners are only for those who want to opt for cosmetic dentistry. It is not true at all. Yes, it provides aesthetic benefit but it’s much more beyond that.
Take a quick glance at the most common benefits of invisalign treatments:
- People whose health doesn’t accept foreign body might not find conventional metal braces comfortable. In rare cases, bits of metal that have been forcibly placed can prick or scratch the insides of the mouth and gums. On the other hand, invisalign aligners are way more smooth and comfortable.
- Adults don’t have patience – it’s true! Metal wires can take longer up to 3-5 years to straighten the teeth. And, invisalign aligners can straighten your teeth in as less as one year too.
- When you opt for fixed braces, you cannot remove them at your own as and when required. Whereas, invisalign aligners can be removed whenever you want. But, dentists recommend wearing them at least for 20-22 hours a day for the best and quick results.
- When you get done metal wires, they are almost fixed for at least 6 months or more. But, when you opt for invisalign aligners since they are plastic trays, need to switch every fortnight.
- Invisalign treatments may sound you costly when you just look at the numbers only. Instead when you compare the cost with treatment benefits, it is worth spending money on it. Benefits surpass the costs! You can also checkout possible insurance plans for this treatment.
Last few words…!
There is no upper age limit for Invisalign. It works for all ages to enhance function and health of the mouth; and, the treatment remains same for all ages. The amount of time it takes to straighten your teeth completely depends on the density of crowding and your bite correction needs. That’s it! There isn’t anything else to worry about this relatively painless treatment. If you are still in some dilemma, visit your local dentist and get clarified your doubts. We wish you all the best to have a healthy smile and strong dental health.
Latest posts by Sal Jumat (see all)
- What Is It Really Like To Have an Invisalign Treatment as an Adult? - February 28, 2018