Table of Contents
You know how good it feels when you smile and the whole world smiles back at you?
It turns out that smiling is not just good for your mood and emotional health, it also plays a vitally important part in your physical well-being.
But, can you still smile confidently if you have stained teeth?
There are many reasons why your teeth are stained. Eating habits and lifestyle can greatly cause staining and produce discolored teeth. Some common foods that you should avoid if you want to maintain pearly, white teeth are the following:
Food high in acids – Citrus foods are high in acids. These foods cause yellowish trace on your teeth.
- Sugary foods – Bacteria that causes tooth decay feed on sugars and carbohydrates. Eating too much sweets can trigger tooth decay. Signs of tooth decay show dark holes on your teeth.
- Coffee – Coffee lover? Say goodbye to white teeth. You must choose. If you drink too much coffee, the chance of having beautiful white smile is almost impossible. Coffee contains acidic polyphenols or tannins that cause teeth discoloration.
- Wine – Both red and white wine can stain your teeth. Red wines are known to cause grayish color on your teeth, which is harder to remove compared to the yellowish tinge. Red wine also contains tannins. White wine has acids that may damage your teeth and make them vulnerable to tooth decay.
Is Teeth Whitening Good For You?
Teeth whitening may not be all that positive. It has its own drawbacks. So, before you go and book an appointment for teeth whitening, weigh the facts first.
- Aesthetic value – Teeth whitening is significant in improving one’s look through a beautiful white smile. This is the main reason why most people opt for teeth whitening. They want to improve their look by having whiter teeth.
- Boost confidence – Teeth whitening also helps boost confidence and improve self-esteem. Having whiter teeth makes you feel better when you talk, smile in cameras, or during interviews.
- Win friends – Whiter teeth makes you win more friends. It gives you a better, friendlier look. You look more approachable and pleasant.
Eliminate wrinkles – With whiter teeth, you tend to smile more because you are confident you can flash a beautiful smile anytime. Smiling helps eliminate wrinkles.
- Food limitation – When you want to maintain whiter teeth, you must break the habit of eating junk foods and acidic drinks. Say goodbye to coffee, sodas, and other food and drinks that causes teeth discoloration.
- Maintenance – It can be costly and tedious in maintaining whiter teeth. It means frequent visits to your dentist. Regular dental visits help you achieve whiter teeth for a longer period. Once you start to miss dental visits, the color of your teeth will gradually go back to its original state.
- Gum and teeth sensitivity – Teeth whitening treatments may scrape off enamel and precious dentin. Chemical substance and bleaching agents used in teeth whitening have adverse effect on your teeth especially if they stay longer. These chemicals cause dehydration and intensify tooth and gum sensitivity.
- Allergic reactions – Some people have reported allergic reactions after using teeth whitening products. Bleaching products can cause allergies to some individuals. Sore gums and teeth are the common effects of allergic reactions to these bleaching agents. Once you stop using them, soreness usually disappears. That is why it is important to consult your dentist about the bleaching products they will use and see if you are allergic to them. Over-the-counter teeth whitening products may pose greater threat unless your dentists have verified and confirmed that they are safe to use.
- Not for everyone – Teeth whitening is not for everyone. There are some individuals who, after several sessions of teeth whitening, do not achieve whiter teeth. Teeth whitening may not work in certain conditions like severe tooth discoloration. Hence, other options may work best such as getting crowns or veneers.
Like most dental treatments, you have to weigh your conditions. Remember, it may be even harder for you to flash that beautiful white smile if you have sores in your mouth due to bleaching products.
That is why it is highly important to consult your dentist first before trying teeth whitening especially if you plan to buy those at-home teeth whitening kit.
Latest posts by Waverly Dental (see all)
- When Little Things Mean A Lot: The Pros and Cons of Teeth Whitening - August 4, 2017