The fear of dentist is something that is most common in our society. One in every four people in the world is afraid of dentists. They get nervous and stressed about everything and cannot be comfortable once they enter the clinic. As a result of that, they avoid visiting the dentist that deteriorates the condition of their dental health to a great extent.
But the professional and experienced dentists understand your fear. That is why they have devised some ways to do away with the stress. Just read on to know.
- Install Televisions Everywhere – Televised programming and sports bars are so popular for a reason. A stressed patient who enters the dentist’s chamber requires some kind of entertainment. Daytime television works as the means to escape from a stressed situation. While watching the television, you can forget about all your worries. Televisions also make the wait seem shorter for the patients. One of the worst things to happen to a fearful patient is to sit through long hours. But the considerate dentist actually schedules his or her appointment in such a way so that the patients do not have to wait for long hours. Shorter waits and TV shows make the appointment a soothing experience for the patient.
- Put into Display Fresh Flowers and Unusual Magazines – Who doesn’t love flowers? Any floral arrangement brings smile to the lips of every onlooker. Plants or small arrangements are a lovely touch but the carnation or rose after an appointment achieves top marks. Another thing that works is the offbeat magazine. No one is interested to go through the same magazines that they come across at the time of getting a haircut. Cookbooks and picture books are said to be the most preferable. That is why you should keep them arranged at the waiting room for the patients. This is a great way to de-stress them.
- Use Colored Shades –One of the greatest traumas of sitting in the dentist’s office is the bright lights that almost glare all the time. These are necessary as the dentist needs to watch the inside of your mouth meticulously. Since the patient has to stare back directly at the lights it adds to their stress level. This may be a secondary concern but the dentists are also care-givers and they cater to these minor issues of the patients, too. They ask the patients to wear colored shades. This way the impact of the lights are decreased. Not only that, the glasses also protect the eyeballs from flying fluids and clumsy hands in this way.
- Listen to Calming Waters – This strategy may not be well-known but is a very effective one. The running water helps to reduce stress and has a number of outstanding health benefits. It lowers your blood pressure and decreases your heart rate. Dentists use this strategy to assist their patients. Some use aquarium while others use a noisy cooler to make this happen.
- Communicate Openly – Since it is an open fact that you are stressed, your dentist can acknowledge and say that everyone will try their best to make the experience tolerable for the patient. At times, hearing the words said aloud often reassures the patient. This may make him or her feel silly that everyone knows about their fear but this also helps them to push away the fear. Added to that, this enables the dentist to develop a kind of kinship with the patient that makes the situation easier for everyone.
- Listen to Peaceful Music – This is one of the easiest options to calm the mind of a patient. It also has other health benefits. Healthcare professionals in many industries uses this to calm the patient. Research has revealed that music reduces your pulse and your blood pressure level. This works like magic for the dentists. This is because the patients often suffer from elevated blood pressure and music works to do away with these impacts of irrational behavior.
- Incorporate Food Scents or Dental Therapy Scents – There is a particular kind of scent that prevails in the dental office. Though most patients cannot define it but many say that it makes their skin crawl. In order to do away with it, you can incorporate aromatherapy scents of candles and air-diffusers that will keep the air fresh. You can also go for food scents like warm cookies, coffee smell and smells of lemon, vanilla and almonds.
The above are some of the things that the proficient and experienced dentist Greenpoint utilizes to keep their patients calm, so that, the dental treatment that needs to be implemented can be accomplished successfully. So the next time you visit your dentist you can tell them about all these ideas. This way both the patient as well as the dentist can cooperate to give way to a successful dental treatment.